Saturday, July 5, 2008

You're a Grand Old Flag....

....but who cares? Pass me the Malibu and Diet.

As a social studies teacher, I can appreciate the true meaning of the 4th of July. In fact, one of my best buddies one time had a "historical document" showdown in her AP History class, and I ended up with the Declaration of Independence as winning my bracket. I seem to have deep feeling for our nation's creation.

Plus, I took my history seminar in Undergrad on the Revolution with a super cute British professor. Never hurts.

But as I was getting wholloped by my family in croquet and sucking down the drinkies yesterday, I wondered aloud why we celebrate the 4th with beer and grill outs, when I'm pretty sure they weren't sucking down beer and having a brat at Valley Forge with Geo. Washington. I promptly got booed out of the game for a round by bringing up anything that required thought. My family doesn't always appreciate my musings. However, later, around the campfire (and with drinkie in hand), my Dad and I had this same conversation. (Note: he too is a history afficianado, so he can put up with me. And my brother got his undergrad degree in History, so he too chimed in). We decided, after many smores, that since we can't relive the Revolution (unless on film in The Patriot), so instead, we are "toasting" to our former soldiers and declaration signers, and since Samuel Adams, an early Patriot, was a brewer of suds, we must drink beer.

Deep, thoughtful conversation. You should hear us discuss Thanksgiving! We could all be doctors in History.

But all in all, we enjoyed the 4th around here. Baby A went in her pool with Grammy (great photo op), Farmer lit off firecrackers, I ate a metric TON of guacamole, and my brother and fiancee were wearing matching outfits, which made us all laugh.

Tomorrow is another big day....the Maribel Parade and Picnic! Maribel is a small farm town (read: bank, 2 bars, feed mill, and church) and every year on the 4th weekend, the local Lion's Club has a parade and picnic. We went every year when I was a kid (mom grew up outside of Maribel) but I bet I haven't gone in 10-15 years. This year, we are taking Baby A since she likes parades. It will be a nice day out for the three of us. We are meeting up with my sister and some cousins, so good times ahead!

I hope everyone enjoyed their 4th of July as much as we did!!!

No comments: