Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Houston, We Have Success!

So, I teach two blocks of an honors American History class. It's a prep class for AP US History. The majority of my 58 kids are extremely bright and wanting to learn, which makes it fun to teach them. However, today took the cake.

We are starting our WWI unit tomorrow, and to get them thinking war, without guns and poison gas, I found a simulation that made them become different major countries of the early 1900's.Their job was to make their country an empire, using different stats that I gave them.....and if they got big enough or powerful enough, they could declare WAR on someone else, in order to take them over. It's a long drawn out way they get power, so I'll leave my explanation of the game at that.

(however, if you are a high school history teacher, or know someone who is and want to learn more about this simulation, just contact me. Because it's awesome)

This was the first time I did this simulation, and so I was nervous. Would the kids get it? Would they play correctly, or just go to war all the time? Would they find it fun or boring???? Well, it was a smash hit. They got it so right!!!!! It even turned out just like WWI.....even, in one class, Russia pulled out of war in the middle of it, and in another class, France melted under pressure. I was so excited, tears came. the kids were proud of themselves too....they want to keep playing!!!!

Then, in my western history class, we held an election for Best Roman Emperor. A class, which is normally very minimal at doing anything or participating, did AWESOME at their election process. Only 1 kid (NavyGirl: initials D.G. You know......) didn't do his work, but everyone else did! Complete success.

It was a day that reaffirmed my faith in teaching.

In other news....Baby A is going to be transitioning this month to a bigger kid room at daycare. No more cribs! They sleep on cots! Only one nap a day! No more babyfood if she doesn't like the meal served! No highchairs....they are in little chairs with seatbelts! They get to play outside ont eh grass, not just go on walks! I know she needs to move up, but I"m so nervous....what if she doesn't adapt well??? I was asking all sorts of questions this morning to her teacher, and suddenly I started crying......I don't adjust to change well, and I can't believe my little baby kitty is turning 1 soon! Where did this year go???? Sunrise.....sunset......

The teacher was not alarmed by my tears....she said lots of 1st time moms have a hard time with transition....more trouble than their kids do.

But I'm sad....my girlie is turning from a baby to a big girl.....and I'm not ready for it.

Can you imagine how I'll do when she goes to college, or gets married??????

3 comments:

NavyGirl said...

Your school day today totally made me cry... (second time today by the way, because I moved all my classroom boxes into the garage and had a melt down that I'm "not a teacher anymore!") Hooray for you and your kiddies!!!

ebs handler said...

Way to go, awesome teacher! Wish there were more like you.....in my building! Yes, it's tough as your baby stop being a"baby," but you will also feel immense pride through the tears as she conquers every new chapter in her life. Remember, it's BECAUSE of you, not in SPITE of you, that she is becoming a well-adjusted little person.
FdL mom
P.S. Did I miss the mini donuts on Saturday? Couldn't find them.

Anonymous said...

Cool game!

Just breathe, this stage of kitty's life is fun,too. More work and more frustrating, but terribly cute and fun.