Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Back to school update

Yesterday our school year officially began. A few highlights:

*As I walk in to my room, I notice a few ants on the floor. No biggie. I get to my desk, and there are ants all over. EVEN INSIDE MY DESK DRAWERS. Attack of the Ants. Disgusting. I immediately call Joe the janitor and tell him to RUN, not walk, to my room with something to kill the ants infesting my room. He came quite quickly and sprayed them with something. All day I felt like something was crawling all over me.

*My school has A/C, which was exciting, as it was 95 degrees outside yesterday. However, in the basement, where I teach, the A/C wasn't working. My room got up to 85 degrees and I couldn't open my windows. Because I was dressed up, first day and all, I was a roaming sweatball by the end of the day. NOTE: don't wear massive girdle on hot days when the A/C might not work.

*My 3rd block class has only 13 kids in it. 13 kids as silent as tombs. for the whole hour and a half NO ONE TALKED. Well, they did complain mightily when I assigned homework for the first night. I think it might be a long semester with them.

Today was a good day too. I introduced my classes to the Sophomore Class history project. It's modeled after the National History Day project, and it's worth 20% of their grade-----big stuff. They looked a bit shell shocked when I was done going through the 13 page explanation packet. Bwahahaha......I love being that kind of teacher some days.

Also, I'm really staying on my game with planning ahead and being organized. I know it's only the 2nd day, but really.....2 days in a row organized is quite special. I came up with some AWESOME stuff for my world war I unit, and I'm super excited. NavyGirl.....I have to tell you about this unit. I found the History Alive binders in your old office and there was AWESOME stuff.

But overall, things seem great at KHS. I really think it will be a good year. I turned a corner in my thoughts about being the only non-coach, and I'm realizing that they do feel I have worth. None of them are prepared for day to day stuff, and noone was ready for the History Project stuff, so when I came in this morning to our morning meeting and announced that I'm planned two units out and was ready to introduce project, they were quite impressed with me. I also used to excuse my usefullness for the department, and this year I'm changing that. I'm a good teacher, and I'm letting them know that.

Ok, thanks for listening to my self-affirming rant. :)

In Baby A news, she's fully on the move with crawling. She's into everthing and anything. SHe's also loving her big girl food at day care. She LOVES twice baked potatoes and ravioli. Good to know. :)

Oh, I wish I had a camera to share with you right now....Baby A is stuck inside a clothes basket!!! She crawled in and can't back out! I love the joy she brings me......awesome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can picture her stuck in a closet. Too cute:) When she's bigger (like my kids) you'll be tempted to shut the door on her (hope not--only kidding!).

Glad you had a good first day, despite ants and sweat. That was brutal weather for a first day.

NavyGirl said...

Ooooo - so much good news to read (except the ants and the sweating). I love that you kicked booty in the department meeting, and I love even more than you kicked sophomore booty right off the bat. My mom does have you beat though - she got a 6th grader to cry on the first day :)

Talk soon,
Navy Girl