Saturday, June 6, 2009

A Graduation Reflection

So, Thursday night was Papertown's High School Graduation. And, as high school staff, it was required that I attend.

Now, most of my colleagues grumble and moan about having to attend....it's not paid extra, it's not during contract time, we aren't given the same amount of comp time to make up for it, yadda yadda, union-contract-lingo. And, really, I do understand what they mean. I get it.

However, I think differently.

I enjoy attending high school graduation. I've been there long enough now that I've seen these kids grow from gawky freshmen, afraid of shadows and the gym hallway (the football team can be intimidating) to being Seniors, who rule the school. I had the opportunity to teach them in many different subjects. I've seen them celebrate at State Football, dance the night away at Prom, and help them deal with their "HUGE LIFE MOMENTS", which to an adult are not that big. I love watching them walk across the stage, shake the Principal's hand, and get their corny picture taken with diploma cover in front of the American Flag. I tear up when I see some of my favorite kids make the big walk, and I celebrate that some of them will NEVER enter my classroom again. I cheer when that kid who had all bets against them for graduating smiles at the crowd when his classmates cheer his achievement.

I think that this year I'm so schmaltzy about graduation because I truly loved this graduating class. They were a wonderful group that showed what is good about KHS. They were the athletes, musicians, actors, academics, and just all around good kids. Yeah, I know they were also huge drinkers and had more sex partners than I can imagine, but when they were in my classroom, they were just fun. They also knew what was fair. For lack of better words, I was "picked on" via an online format last year by some students who were not being fair to me....a bunch of the then-juniors found out about it, and took care of the whole situation before it could get blown fully out of porportion. They weren't being bullies, but rather just righted a wrong. Then they came to me, informed me of what happened, and promised to help me deal with it again if it reoccured. THat's only one of the reasons why I love this graduating class.

So, yeah. Graduation can be a pain. I'd rather be in my sweats at 8:00 pm, but it was worth wearing my heels and girdle to help them transition to the next big moment in their lives. The handshakes, hugs, and congratulatory words meant so much to them that night. I'll miss them next year, not having them pop in and say "Hey Mrs V!" and give a big wave before they move on to their class. But I know that I did my job getting them ready for the next big step. I'll be excited to see them in a few years and see what they have done with their lives.

Godspeed, Graduates. I wish you all the best.

No comments: