Sunday, June 7, 2009

A cheesecake championship

So, today was the day.

The big day.

The Cheesefest Cheesecake competiton. The day I seriously train for, like athletes do for their sports.

I start really thinking about what kind of cake I want to make at Christmas time. I make at least one to three cakes a month, trying to figure out what to do. Farmer and his family enjoy training season.

So, this competition, I decided on a White Chocolate Lemon cheesecake with a raspberry ripple, and a white chocolate cream cheese frosting. This decision did not come about by chance. I have two theories....here they are.....

#1: It's June. people like fruit flavors in summertime. The light taste tastes good. Its' refreshing for summer. People don't like heavy flavors like pumpkin, carrot, or chocolate peanut butter in summer. those are fall/winter flavors. So, I automatically dismiss those flavors from my idea list.

#2: A cheesecake with layers is more impressive than a one layer cake. Think about it. A layer cake always gets more Oooohs and Ahhhs than a sheet cake, right? The same is for cheesecakes. So I like to find an intricate recipe that has at least one layer....people are impressed to cut into the cake and wow! there's a ripple in there! unexpected and tasty!

So, I made the cheesecake yesterday, because c-cakes have to cure overnight in the fridge for best flavor. It takes multiple steps to get the cake done, so it was a joint effort between Farmer and I. Farmer was in charge of keeping Kitty out of the kitchen. A very important step.

Today Grammy and I decorated the cake togehter---I can bake, but I can't use a frosting gun. Mom's also in charge of the decorations for the area of the cake. Again, I have great ideas for the decor, but mom's just better at the execution of the decor. She can tie a mean bow out of tuille and twistyties.

We get to the wet, dripping, soggy festival grounds and get the cake set up. (did I mention it was 50 degrees out todoay and rained all day yesterday and this morning??? yeah...it was pleasant....Kitty was so bundled up all we could see was her little face in the stroller) There are 14 cakes present.....big competition. A few I was able to write off right away...not pretty or appetizing, messy, and just icky looking. The judging started with judging of the look of the cake...not the taste. I knew i was good there....it was one hot looking cake.

Then they started cutting a piece out for the taste testers. There were 4 judges, one radio guy and 3 actual bakers. Yikes. It's like watching TV....they take tiny bites, make concerned faces and lick their lips slowly. They made their way around the cakes, making notes as they went. At one point I was trying to help Auntie Mousie see what the judges were writing on the sheets....she stands almost 6 feet tall, but even with me boosting her up (not noticably, as if she was standing on my back or anything) but she couldn't make out what they were writing about my cake. My cake was 2nd to last in the judge order. One judge was a double dipper...several tastes with teh same spoon. Ick. Another judge really liked my cake. he took several tastes. but with different spoons. :)

The tension was palpable. Grammy, Auntie Mousie, and myself were holding hands, partially out of excitement, partially because we were fricking freezing standing outside in the 50 degree rain. Then they tabulated the results. The radio guy made a couple quick announcements, and then got down to business.

3rd place: a Kaluha and bits cheesecake (don't know what the bits were...toffee???)
2nd place: Tuxedo cheesecake (a multi-layer chocolate and white cheesecake, with a brownie layer! I'm gonna try making that one soon!)

And.....

1st place:::::

SummerTime Delight Lemon Raspberry Cheesecake by HistoryGirlie!!!!

WAHOOO!!!!

I'm so pumped. I haven't won 1st place before....it's a great day. My prize? $100 and a personalize cheese cutter with engraving on it. It was great. They sell the pieces after the contest and mine sold out immediately. One judge stopped me and told me it was an amazing cake....and she was a baker!!!!!

So, my summer got off to a great start. Next up: Farmer County Fair.......Look out! Historygirlie is coming out with guns blazing!

WOOHOO! 1st place!!!!!!

Because I'm not one of them....those that keep recipes to themselves....I'll post my recipe for the cake tomorrow. It takes over 3 hours to make, so you can imagine the intricate recipe. I'm worn out....from the competition, and because Kitty was wired tight all night tonight....If every day were like tonight, TLC would be making a TV show out of the Farmer family instead of the Gosselins. It would be humerous to anyone other than her parent, who was trying to put her jammies on for 25 minutes. Obviously, running around in your diapie and giggling is SO MUCH FUN. We'd get one leg in, and then she'd take off again, kicking off the jammies as we went.

So, this champion is off to watch Family Guy in bed. Not only did I win, but I also have clean sheets on the bed. Bliss. :)

"We are the champions, my friend...."

6 comments:

Rearden said...

WooHoo! Congrats HistoryGirlie! Now can you please teach Mugs how to make it? I LOVE cheesecake!!

sister said...

Congratulations HistoryGirlie! So exciting!! I agree with NavyGuy, you should not only teach NavyGirl, but teach me too! Mmmmm, cheesecake...

And I loved the suspense in the story too. I tried SO hard to not scroll down and see whether you had won...until I saw the listings of 2nd and 3rd place, and I couldn't stop myself! Hurray for you! :)

ebs handler said...

Hooray! I know a champion cheesecake maker! If you ever need an extra taster or Kitty corraler while you bake, I'm only a hop, skip and a jump away. (I also had too forcibly keep my hand off the mouse to avoid spoiling the end of the story!) Way to go, HistoryGirlie!

Gale Reeves said...

Congratulations!!!!!!
I love cheesecake. This one sounds delicious.

Anonymous said...

You go girl! What a hot start to the summer! I hope you also won an obnoxiously large ribbon/trophy/medal to display at your house!

TWP

P.S. We need photos of Kitty as the flower girl!!!

Anonymous said...

Being nearly naked is a kick for all kids I think;)
You got a PRIZE too???
Cool.
Love the WHOLE story--and again, congrats!