Friday, June 13, 2008

Storms, Showers, and Cheesecake

So, yesterday my area of Wisconsin got hit with some MAJOR lightning, thunder, and tornado storms. One thing about me.....I HATE NASTY WEATHER. It totally freaks me out. So much so, that in our first year of marriage, I made Farmer move about 25 precious things (think homemade afghans, wedding pictures, blessed cross from deceased grandma, etc) from the upstairs to the basement during a tornadic storm when I wasn't home. He was in the middle of a home improvement project (replacing the patio door, so half our house was off) at the time, so he was trying to calm his frantic wife, move the goods, and seal up the house before the tornado came. He had quite the afternoon.

But yesterday they were screaming storms and terrible things. I got super nervous, but I let Farmer go back to work and milk cows and I'd be fine staying home alone. I could have gone to the In-Laws, but I wasn't feeling it. Instead, I called a great friend, M, who lives in an apartment in town and doesn't have a basement, and told her she was more than welcome to come over and hide out in our basement. I should tell you, M is a very brave, logical girl. We work together at school, and she is definitely the more down to earth one of us. However, I think that she could hear the fear in my voice and said she'd check the radar and if she felt she needed a basement, she'd come over. She was here in almost less than 15 minutes. She must have known that Baby A and I needed a babysitter.

So we hung out and watched the entire area get pounded by storms. So much so, that M's mom got her basement totally flooded and the sump pump went out. Ouch. Not good for Mom of M. Thankfully, my area was the only area in our Valley to not get hit. Yeah, we got rain and green clouds and lightning, but nothing scary. Whew! Crisis Averted! So, M went home and I stayed relatively calm until Farmer got home.

Yesterday was also a big day because MY mom (we call her Grammy) and I threw M a going away shower. M's fiancee is a Navy Pilot in Training ( I call him Maverick, from Top Gun. His call sign, sadly, is not Maverick, however. But that doesn't seem to stop me.....) and he's based in Florida, so she's moving down there to be with him. We've been great friends for 3 years, so M's leaving will leave a minor hole in my life. But in order to say goodbye properly, Baby A, (who is also a close friend of M's) Grammy and I took M out for lunch and gave her a few things she'll need in her new Florida Home. She was totally surprised and we had a great time. After lunch, Grammy and I went to TJ Maxx, and I did DAMAGE on my credit card. They just have such cute stuff for kid's rooms and alot of it coordinated with Baby A's room!!! I could NOT pass it up!

Today has been filled with making Farmer a cheesecake for Father's day. He claims that I never make him a cheesecake, even though I bake them all the time, so I let him pick one out for Father's Day. He picked a Chocolate Mousse Cheesecake.....WOW. The batter is AWESOME! Think chocolate ice cream. This should be a great tasting cheesecake.

The rest of today is going to involve taking Baby A for a walk and cleaning up my family room after our Storm Watch 2008 camp out. It's covered in baby toys and clothes that Baby A pulled out of the clothes basket. I"m also going to try grilling fish for supper. I have weigh in at Weight Watchers tomorrow (AKA Chub Club) so I don't want to eat too heavy. Hence, the walk tonight with Baby A!

No comments: