Saturday, August 23, 2008

Hoop it Up!

So, Grammy called me the other day (from work....she and her friends dont' get much work done somedays) and told me that her good friend told her that the latest fitness and weight loss craze is hula hooping. It's supposed to be a great core workout. I was, in my prime, an amazing hula hooper. Mouser and I used to time ourselves hulaing in the driveway and I logged in at 75 minutes at my best, not to mention winning the hula contest three church picnics in a row....Go HistoryGirlie!

Anyway, Grammy thought I'd be interested in knowing this fitness tidbit, because I'm a chronic failure at losing weight. I just agreed with her that it sounded interesting, and assured her (while blankly staring at the TV and not really paying attention to her....Baby A was napping and I had a migraine) that I would look into hula hooping as workout.

Fast Forward to this morning.

I, with Baby A, drove up to GBC to go to the weekly Farmer's Market with Grammy, Poppy, and Brother. Lo and Behold, a lady was there selling weighted hula hoops for fitness purposes! Grammy and I were amazed. I tried one out, and I could tell by the 30 seconds I did it that it truly would be a great workout.

While we were climbing in the car to head home, the trunk full of cabbages, onions, and Green peppers (Poppy was making homemade coleslaw today) Mom ran back into the wilds of the market. We thought she was grabbing a last refill of the coffee (she has a crush on the guy that sells her her coffee each Saturday morning), but instead, she came back with a hula hoop for me! Oh boy. Now I have to hula hoop, I thought.

So, just now, Baby A was playing in her jumparoo, and so I thought I'd try out my new exersize equipment. I hooped for 30 minutes, and I feel as if I had been whipped with steel around my midsection. It sure is a great workout! I was amazed. and it was easy! and I coudl watch TV without having to turn up the volume to make it over the noise of the equipment! I didn't have to watch a stupid video of alreadly thin people wearing leotards and high tops doing the exersizes! Awesome.

Lookout.....next summer, I'll have abs of steel, all thanks to the hula hoop! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hoola hoopla! Good for you!