Sunday, August 10, 2008

Five Years of Bliss!

So, yesterday was our Anniversary. I had a wonderful day telling Farmer what we were doing exactly 5 years ago that moment. By 10:00 pm (Grand March Started!) he said he was going to bed. We spent our day at a local zoo, because Baby A likes animals. She loved the badger and the prairie dogs. Lots of laughing.


But our wedding day was marvelous. Because of the cows, we had the longest wedding imaginable. Our nuptial mass was at 12 Noon, and dinner wasn't until 6:30 pm. That's a LONG time during the day.

Grammy and I had been planning my wedding day forever...we joked that all we needed to fill the picture was a Groom. :) When our day finally showed up, it was amazing.

The weather was beautiful. 85 degrees and not a cloud to be seen. The church was filled with people and everything in the mass was perfect. My brother played the piano at communion, and he played Somewhere in Time, the theme music from an 80's Christopher Reeve movie set at Mackinac Island. This was important, because we were going to Mackinac Island for our honeymoon. This is just an example of the minute details I incorporated into our wedding. I was THE BRIDE, and it would only be that way. However, everyone involved said I DID NOT become a Bridezilla, and are still assuring me of this today.

But the best part of the day was the middle reception. My maternal family side always has a little informal party between mass and reception to fill the dead time. It always involves Sweedish Meatballs, ham roll ups, and a polka band. But our party was the best. Grammy and Poppy spent the entire summer relandscaping their flower beds to match the wedding flowers. (details!!!!!!) This was of their own accord, I didn't care about the landscaping. We had 3 huge tents in the front yard (Think Kennedy/Kennebunkport wedding) and the polka band was under one, with a dance floor, the beer was under another, and one just for relaxing under. the Garage was full of food. People danced the afternoon away. My mom sang Tiny Bubbles with the band (another wedding tradition), and the neighbors from teh back showed up, because they were having a party and could hear our party....so why not join up!

We then went to our reception hall and socialized and ate chicken. My cake was custom made by my aunt, a baker, and our card box was a country western themed wedding cake that Mom and I made....Farmer and I met at a huge Country music festival, so we incorporated that stuff in there as well. The dance was awesome....the floor was filled all night long. My dress was perfect....a strapless number with at least 20 layers of floof for a skirt. It was so big I had to wiggle through normal sized doorways. I looked like I was floating all night. Awesome.

It was the best day. People still talk about my wedding. I'm not joking. :) I loved being The Bride so much that when it was time for Farmer and I to be whisked away to the hotel for the wedding night, I started to SOB. I did not want to leave, and kept wailing that I still wanted to be the bride. I obviously didn't realize that someday I would no longer be the most important person ever. :) I cried all the way to the hotel, and for at least a 1/2 hour after we arrived. Farmer thought he might have just made the biggest mistake ever. :) My two best friends (bridesmaids) finally just gave Farmer my shoes and purse, gave me a hug, and pushed us out the door.

But Five Years have passed, and I still would not change a THING about my day. (notice, MY. Farmer was just along for the ride). But it's been a great five years. New Farm, New Baby, New Job.....we have an awesome thing going! :)

A few pictures...


The Men (yes, a huge wedding party) The three kneeling are Farmer's brothers, and my brother is standing with the curly hair. Farmer's in white tie.




THE DRESS!!! (and Poppy)



My Favorite Picture. Note the white sunglasses on bride.....Another super important detail!!! :) This is Farmer's car...1966 Impala. He bought it the weekend we started dating and finished fixing it up the month before we married. It's his other wife. He got it as a junk heap, and made it very pretty!!! :) We had to have red bridesmaids dresses so they wouldn't clash with the car. :)

2 comments:

NavyGirl said...

Happy Anniversary!!! I'm still ticked that I didn't know you then, because I would have loved to have seen your mother sing Tiny Bubbles, and see you in that show-stopping, Disney princess dress :) (I pity the bridesmaids that had to help you go to the bathroom!)

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary! You were a beautiful bride. Cake topper bride. That was a lovely day!