Thursday, December 11, 2008

Book Club and Cookies

Well, the flu has now passed by our house. We all three seem to be healthy. Farmer had the achy bone flu, but no ickiness, and Kitty is back to her perky haired self.

Tonight I had book club with the Bumble Book Club at a local establishment, where we discussed an awesome book: "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society", which is a series of letters written between a London author and residents of the German Occupied island of Guernsey, located in the English channel. Even for a history girl, I've never read a book set in post war England. Most war books take place during WWII, but this one was refreshingly different. I'd recommend it to everyone. Excellent read. And excellent discussion amongst women who've accepted me as one of them without question....for which I give thanks.

Tonight we met at an establishment where their specialities are called Dirty Snowballs, which is a blended ice cream drink.....which tastes like my favorite Chocolate Martini. Joy in a Glass. Joy! seriously.....JOY!

But enough excitement about an alcoholic drink....it makes me sound iffy.

Now, we look forward to the weekend. Saturday morning Kitty and I head up to GBC for the Christmas Cookie Extravaganza, where Auntie Mousie, Auntie-to-Be and Grammy will help me make bazillions of christmas cookie and candy. Grammy will also be taking Kitty to Breakfast with Santa, which Grammy's wildly excited for. Then, Kitty will stay for a sleepover, because Farmer and I have the rollicking night out of the annual farm christmas party, which basically involves us two, the other Farmers (bro and sis in law) and Former Farmers (my parents-in-laws) go out for dinner. When we bought the farm, and Farmer left the 5 day a week working world, I was bummed out because I was always invited to all the Christmas parties associated with Farmer's old job. He was in landscaping, so the area landscaping associations and other groups would have their parties at restaurants-->which meant that I didn't have to cook for the entire month of December, or so it felt. I really missed those parties. So I insisted that the new business have a party. My in-laws, being as they are, thought I was, once again, off my rocker (just about everything I do is slightly left of center to them....grad school twice, stilletos, different hair color every month) but they went along with my idea. So on a Saturday in December we go out to a supper club and eat steak and drink old fashioneds (or chocolate martini's in my case....another so thought oddity about me) and celebrate the Cows and Milk and the end of field work (thank GOD!) for a few months.

SO, long story short, we have a fun weekend ahead. Thrown in with these big items, we are also going shopping for christmas for Kitty tomorrow night, along with our godchild's 5th birthday luncheon on Sunday.

THe christmas spirit is in the air!!!! Huzzah!

3 comments:

NavyGirl said...

Dirty Snowballs!!!! Huzzah!!!!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy! (You? Off center? My Goodness)

Shauna said...

♥ Hugs ♥