Thursday, July 30, 2009

arm, arm, leg, leg...ok, I'm good.

Have you ever seen on the Discovery Channel or PBS those documentaries about the desert or the "law of the jungle", and have seen those buzzards tearing at carrion with their teeth, nudging each other for that succluent piece of rotting flesh?

I believe I just witnessed that at Festival Foods.

Today is their quad-annual One Day Meat Sale. Yes, caps required. It's a big event. I wasn't even going for the meat sale, since there wasn't anything on sale that I needed, but we did need milk, eggs, fruit, and a large vat of salsa (for the family reunion this weekend). So, because fresh fruit is on sale at the Fest this week, I headed there.

Because I was there, I just made a pass through the meat department, just to see what's up.

I'm lucky I made it out with all my limbs.

There were people pushing, shoving, moving others carts, crowding around the meat bunkers, hunched over the Big Packs of Octoberfest Brats and Chuck Roasts like the aforementioned buzzards. I actually saw one grandmotherly figure (not the small, fragile grandma, I'm talking the big hipped, big busted steel grey permed hair type grandma) rip one pack of chuck roasts out of another woman's hands, saying..." I had my eye on that pack first!!!". I saw another couple with 5 packs of chuck roasts in their cart, debating if they should get 5 more. I should mention that each pack had 2 roasts in them, and I'd say that each roast goes about 3 lbs. That's ALOT of Hot Beef Sandwiches and pot roasts.

I grabbed my one lone pack of cheddy-brats and scurried away. The Farmer Family likes their cheese mixed in with their meat. :)

When I was checking out I mentioned to the check out lady that the meat sale was already in very full swing...she said that people show up at 7:00, an hour before it starts, waiting for the butchers to say..."Ok, Go Ahead". Now, I love my meat sale as much as the next carnivore, but that's just rediculous. It's just meat. It will go on sale again, and todays' sale goes until 8 pm. I think you'll get your whole trimmed tenderloin. They wouldn't be on mega sale if they only had 10 tenderloins in the back cooler.

Good times at the Fest.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the only piece of meat I'd stand in a crowd and fight for is Hugh Jackman. Hahaha! I crack myself up.
Glad you made it out safely.
I made cupcakes the other day and the boys told Doug. He didn't believe them. He looked at me and said, Jayne made them, right?
OUCH!

Daisy said...

Sales like that scare me! I'm glad you got out in one piece.